Posted on 2017-12-07, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Francis Jeffry Pelletier | Publisher: Oxford University Press | Category: Psychology | Language: English | Page: 248 | ISBN: 0195382897 | ISBN13: 9780195382891 |
Description: A generic statement is a type of generalization that is made by asserting that a "kind" has a certain property. For example we might hear that marshmallows are sweet. Here, we are talking about the "kind" marshmallow and assert that individual instances of this kind have the property of being sweet. Almost all of our common sense knowledge about the everyday world is put in terms of generic statements. What can make these generic sentences be true even when there are exceptions? A mass term is one that does not "divide its reference " the word water is a mass term the word dog is a count term. In a certain vicinity, one can count and identity how many dogs there are, but it doesn't make sense to do that for water--there just is water present. The philosophical literature is rife with examples concerning how a thing can be composed of a mass, such as a statue being composed of clay. Both generic statements and mass terms have led philosophers, linguists, semanticists, and logicians to search for theories to accommodate these phenomena and relationships. The contributors to this interdisciplinary volume study the nature and use of generics and mass terms. Noted researchers in the psychology of language use material from the investigation of human performance and child-language learning to broaden the range of options open for formal semanticists in the construction of their theories, and to give credence to some of their earlier postulations--for instance, concerning different types of predications that are available for true generics and for the role of object recognitions in the development of count vs. mass terms. Relevant data also is described by investigating the ways children learn these sorts of linguistic items: children can learn how to sue generic statements correctly at an early age, and children are adept at individuating objects and distinguishing them from the stuff of which they are made also at an early age.
Kinds, Things, and Stuff: Mass Terms and Generics (New Directions in Cognitive Science).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34164
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Kinds, Things, and Stuff: Mass Terms and Generics (New Directions in Cognitive Science)
- 2010-07-20Kinds, Things, and Stuff: Mass Terms and Generics (New Directions in Cognitive Science)
- 2010-04-07Formal Grammar: Theory and Implementation (New Directions in Cognitive Science)
- 2010-03-10Formal Grammar: Theory and Implementation (New Directions in Cognitive Science)
- 2007-07-06Connectionism: Theory and Practice (New Directions in Cognitive Science)
- 2017-10-06[PDF] Attachment Theory and Research: New Directions and Emerging Themes
- 2011-11-15Kinds, Things, and Stuff: Mass Terms and Generics
- 2017-11-17[PDF] The Renaissance and the New World (History of Everyday Things series)
- 2017-12-13[PDF] Surface Properties and Catalysis by Non-Metals (Nato Science Series C:) (1983-07-31)
- 2017-12-13[PDF] Shakespeare: Poet and Citizen: New Edition
- 2017-12-12[PDF] Trauma and Psychosis: New Directions for Theory and Therapy
- 2017-12-12[PDF] Organic Food and Agriculture New Trends and Developments in the Social Sciences
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Earth Materials and Health: Research Priorities for Earth Science and Public Health
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Learning, Work and Practice: New Understandings
- 2017-12-09[PDF] Mr. Monk and the New Lieutenant
- 2017-12-07[PDF] Numbers: Rational and Irrational (New Mathematical Library)
- 2017-12-06[PDF] Game Theory and Strategy (New Mathematical Library, No. 36)
- 2017-12-02[PDF] Dual Enrollment Policies, Pathways, and Perspectives: New Directions for Community Colleges, Number 169 (J-B CC Single Issue Community Colleges)
- 2017-12-02[PDF] The Applicability of Mathematics in Science: Indispensability and Ontology (New Directions in the Philosophy of Science)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.